Monday 1 October 2012

HADOTH INTERVIEW Sept 2012


Hadoth is a one-man Black Metal project from the USA who is currently busy working on a debut album. I caught up with the man himself to speak about his project...

Hi Hadoth, can you please introduce yourself?

Hello readers - I go by either Hadoth or H if you prefer. I do a Metal project in California - nothing more, nothing less. Thanks for your interest.

Please tell us a bit about Hadoth?

Well, I started in June 2008. In the beginning, I was playing drums/doing vocals for a band called Dodsredskap (meaning the instrument of death in english). I consider this the beginnings of Hadoth as I named that band that month, and worked on my first song, and recorded my first demos. At first I wanted to be a depressive black metal band, but that got really boring, very quick. Now I just play what I feel and that's more interesting.

You're currently working on the debut Hadoth album, how is that coming along?

Sadly, a bit slow and it's kind of an awkward process- and maybe that's because my method of recording is a bit unconventional and somewhat unique. But on a more positive note, a longer song was recorded and it's 10 minutes long- original, brand new material. it will be released as a single sometime soon to bring something new to the table. I think maybe the album could be done in the beginning months of 2013. It will be a full length.


Who, if anyone, are your main influences in the band?

So many to name, I'll try not to forget any: Lifelover, Bathory, Forgotten Woods, Old Gehenna, Old Satyricon, Burzum, Trist, Ulver, Arckanum, Wolves in the Throne Room, Black Plague (torrance) - surprisingly, lately I've also been picking up on Nirvana 2002 and Obituary. In the beginning days, my influences were more stereotypical DSBM bands that I don't care much for today.

Being a one man project can often be easier and more rewarding than being in a band with full members, how does it work out for you?

It's good and bad at the same time! I think you're right, it can be very rewarding. You never answer to anyone and no second opinions are required for the material or your recording/practice time. It's sometimes bad because I enjoy the feeling and atmosphere of playing along with other humans, rather than just yourself. But for the most part, it's great.

The 'Painful Assemble' mini album was a long time in the making, why did it take so long and are you happy with the end product?

Happy with it? Yes and no - I kind of regret the shitty quality of one of the songs on there, but for the most part I was very content with it. It took long because of either being on hold, or because of recording troubles, or feeling like the project should just stop. Better late than never though, right?


At the moment your releases have been digital downloads, why has there not been a physical release yet?

Great question! Well, the reason for this is that when I began in 2008-09, I hated labels- but I also could not afford to put physical formats out on my own. I didn't like labels because I felt that they would constantly screw bands over. However I am a bit more open minded these days, and know that not everyone out there is a prick- so now, physical formats will arise and be more common. Some physical formats of my releases exist from the 2008-09 days- though they are heavily rare and mostly due to Nino of Black Plague, making DIY copies and handing them out at shows. They are so uncommon, that I don't own an old copy myself- and I don't know what they look like either. In recent times, I made DIY copies of my split and EP, and sent them out to strange places where you'd never think to see metal- like Missouri.

Where do you see Hadoth going in the future?

I'd like to do some live shows and also, release music and merchandise in physical formats - shirts, patches, CDs, tapes, and more importantly, vinyl. I don't believe it will deviate too far from this. But getting stuff out on vinyl is difficult and labels will rarely do it- but fuck it. Better to try and fail than to not try at all.

You did a split release with Black Plague called 'When The Earth Stands Still, can you tell us a bit about it?

Yes, I was very excited about that. At the time, especially, I was excessively fond of Black Plague. It was received *very* well in the underground. I think I recall Nino, the band behind Black Plague, telling me that he gave out somewhere between 50-100 copies of the split- he promoted it beyond my expectations. But yeah it was a big thing for me- lots of people liked it. I like the rawness of the first edition in 2008, my split side- it's very demo sounding. Some people have described it as sounding like it was recorded in a dungeon.


What do your lyrics deal with?

Mostly themes of desolation, despair, chaotic occurrences, fantasy, nature- that kind of deal. I try to keep lyrics interesting and not boring- I attempt to invoke different kinds of images in the readers/listeners heads by using metaphors or maybe describing something unique.

Black Metal has changed a lot since the glory days of the early 90's, do you think the changes have been good?

It's definitely been both bad and good. It's good because we get to hear more original sounding stuff- creative takes on making music- that sort of thing. It's also been bad, due to copycat bands or those who are interested in looking "cool". Some of my favorite newer bands are Wolves in the Throne Room, Black Plague, Benighted in Sodom (who is very experimental, especially in the last couple of albums). There is some really great stuff out there, and I'm grateful to hear it.


What does Hadoth mean and why did you choose it for a name?

-Excellent question. For those of you who are HP Lovecraft fans, you may recognize the word from the story titled "The Outsider". I won't give away too much of this story- it's like 6 pages and found online, so those interested can read it. But let's just say that it describes perfectly what I envisioned for making music and the way I feel about myself, oftentimes anyway. Another main reason why the name was chosen was because no one had this name- I didn't want the name to be boring, stereotypical, or taken by others. Instead, I wanted a name that raised curiosity. I think its successful in doing this.

Musically, I personally hear similarities between Hadoth and early Burzum, do you think this is a fair comment?

Absolutely! Burzum is one of my main influences. I don't really know if I would have gotten into Black Metal had it not been for Burzum, really.

What are your current and future plans, musically?

Record and put out the album for sure! Apart from that, some of you who remember me being in Dodsredskap will be happy to know we are re-recording the demo tracks and making an EP of that as well. We'll be going to our old recording spot to do this. It's 4 tracks, so it will be short but nostalgic nonetheless- very much so. I don't think we even remember how to play the songs, but no worries- we'll figure it out.

Any last words?

Yes, thank you for reading and a huge thanks to Crucifixion zine/Matt for your kind questions!

Thanks Hadoth. For those of you who are interested in checking out the band, be sure to click the following links - Bandcamp, Youtube and Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment