Sunday 11 March 2012

THE OBSCENE interview March 2012



UK rotten Death Metallers The Obscene are making waves in the underground scene at the moment and are becoming a well-respected band. I spoke to the bands vocalist Tom about a few things...


Can you give the readers a little bit of history about the band?

The Drummer (Chris), Guitarist (Jonny) and Bassist (Garry) have been playing in bands together for many years and were members of Morstice and Blessed Realm. They started a band called Salute To The Sun in 2003 and continued under that name until I joined the band in the summer of 2010.

How did you get into music and have your tastes always been the same?

I didn't really have musical parents, so no influences came from home. My auntie was into Hendrix and I remember hearing that when I was young and really liking it. From there I got into all the usual stuff a ten year old into rock music would, like Iron Maiden, Guns n' Roses, AC/DC etc. Once you've dipped your toes into the water, you might as well just jump in and you tend to get more extreme as the years go on.

How did you come up with the band name?

Our drummer (Chris) came up with the name. I think it was a case of new vocalist, new start! The name just fits us and the music and message we are trying to get across.


What do you think about the current state of Metal in general?

Metal is healthy, be you a fan of the mainstream stuff or the underground, I can't ever see it going away.

What are your favourite and least favourite style of lyrics, and why?

My favourite lyrical styles are ones that make you think or add to the atmosphere of the music, ideally both. A lot of bands, especially mainsteam ones, tend to have mundane lyrics that don't really mean anything. If you are going to all the trouble of writing the music that you love, then why wouldn't you want the lyrics to be just as good?!

How do you think the internet has affected the music industry?

I am sure the music industry fat cats fucking hate it. For that reason, I think the internet is excellent. It has opened up the whole world and you get to hear about bands that you may never have got to listen to. A recent example of this for me was the one-woman Black Metal band from Baghdad, Iraq called Janaza. That being said, it's very important to support the underground. Downloading is fine but if you like the stuff, buy the album!

What is your all time favourite LP of the Death Metal genre and why?

Carcass 'Necroticism: Descanting the Insalubrious'. I can still put this album on now and it gives me the same feeling I got when I first heard it.

You were in previous bands before TheObscene, can you tell me a bit about it?

As I mentioned earlier, the musical element of The Obscene is very much from the old school (Morstice and Blessed Realm). Prior to joining The Obscene I played in a Black Metal band called Nebula Rising. We started the band in 1999, with the sole intention of playing Black Metal the way we liked it. Ugly, raw and hateful. We haven't released any material yet, but there are plans for a 7 track demo recorded at Necrodeath studios back in 2006 to see the light of day.


You recently had an EP released called 'The Torment Of Sinners'. How did this come about and are you happy with the release?


All the material was written and recorded before I joined the band. After a few rehearsals with the lads, it was decided that we re-enter the studio to record all the vocals again. So on a bleak winters day, I travelled to White Wolf studios and laid down the vocals for 'The Torment of Sinners'. The band is pleased with the release. We wanted it to sound raw and ugly. We believe we have achieved this and look forward to our first full length album.

What is the purpose behind The Obscene?

To make Extreme Metal that we are content with as Extreme Metallers. Playing brutal songs, that are tight and give you that intense energy is an amazing feeling.

Do you think the UK Death Metal scene is better now than it was 20 years ago?

I was only 10 years old haha, so I am not really the best person to ask. 20 years ago it was fresh and new. Our drummer (Chris) talks about the old days with fond memories. The scene now in the UK is thriving but if you consider yourself a bit of a connoisseur, you need to look back to the old stuff.

Death Metal seems to have gone fullcircle and there are now many new bands playing in the style of the late '80's and early '90's. What do you think about this? 

If people are inspired by the old stuff, then I say good! If they play that style and play it well, all the better. If however, I am ever at a gig and see some hitler haircut wankers trying to incorporate that old school feel into their modern take on it. I will throw pints of piss at them!


What future plans do you have with The Obscene?

At the moment we have about 8 songs already written for our first full length album, entitled 'Architects Of Deliverance'. We are planning to hit the studio later in 2012 and release the album by the winter of 2012.  'Architects Of Once we have this under our belts, we aim to play a few gigs and move forward from there. Each day at a time though, you could get hit by a bus tomorrow!

Any last words?

Support the underground and thanks for the interview \m/.

Thanks Tom. Look out for the bands debut full length album 'Architects Of Deliverance' later this year and remember to check out The Obscene on Facebook and My Space. The bands drummer Chris also runs a record label called UKEM - check it out here and here.


No comments:

Post a Comment